Look, we all fight our own battle in life. Just because that beautiful, confident, young lady looks like she has everything going for her, doesn’t mean that’s really true. You don’t know what her heart carries.
At the end of the day, we’re all hurting. We’re all broken, bruised, burned out, injured, depressed, disappointed and simply tired. But, hey, you know what they say…
The bad news is – “Nothing lasts forever”, the good news is “Nothing lasts forever”!
Here are 21 truths to remember when it feels like your world is crashing down:
1. Don’t beat yourself up. It is perfectly okay to not be okay. We’re human beings after all. We are made of flesh, blood and emotions. We cannot simply program ourselves to be these cheerful, lovely and optimistic robots. Embrace the pain and let every feeling wash all over you.
2. Don’t push people away. Let your loved ones handle you in their own way. Don’t be the one to decide for them if they are strong enough to deal with you or not. People will surprise you more than you think.
3. Take time for yourself, but don’t isolate completely. Don’t avoid calls. Don’t turn off your phone. Don’t lose yourself. Don’t let your sorrow eat your soul. Don’t let depression throw you in to the darkest pits of misery. Let people in.
4. No matter how dark it seems, there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel. There’s always something to be grateful for. You woke up alive. The early sunlight is caressing your skin. There are people in your life who unconditionally love you. You have a roof over your head. You are breathing, my love. Appreciate this life.
5. There’s nothing wrong about taking a day off, just so you could stay in bed till noon and eat your breakfast while you binge-watch your favorite show. You owe this to yourself.
6. Stop sabotaging your life by feeling sorry for yourself. “Am I good enough?” Yes, you’re good enough. You are more than enough, darling. Wake up and learn to identify such harmful behaviors.
7. I know it sounds cliché, but you’re special. You may not know it yet, but you have amazing things to offer to this world. If you would only find a way to open your heart, you would see what I am talking about. Don’t let this pain take that away from you.
8.As I said, NOTHING LASTS FOREVER. Have patience, and please be persistent.
9. People rarely think before they speak. And what they often say, says more about them than it says about you. The painful thing that person said to you yesterday doesn’t have to become your reality. It’s up to you whether you’ll accept it or simply let it go.
10. Don’t avoid your pain. Take it all in. It will be difficult, and it will make you feel like your body is burning, but the sooner you learn that pain is an inevitable part of life that makes us stronger, the better off you’ll be.
11. Substance abuse is not the answer. Alcohol won’t solve your problems. Drugs won’t make it all go away.
12. Try something different. Turn on the sound system, even if you don’t feel like it. Put your favorite song on and release yourself from every negativity. Dance to the rhythm. Let yourself feel the vibe that once made you happy. Relive some old memories and savor that moment.
13. If you feel like crying, cry your heart out. Cry until you have no more tears left. Scream as loud as you can. But, don’t hold it in. Bottling your feelings up will only do more damage.
14. And when you finally feel ready, face your demons. Identify your emotions and try to find the root of your suffering.
15. If you can’t hold it any longer, and if you feel like you can’t do anything to help yourself, don’t hesitate to seek out therapy. It’s okay to want to talk to a therapist. You are not crazy. It is called self-care.
16. But, know this. You are stronger than you think. Don’t ever doubt that.
17. More importantly, if you have children, don’t hide from them. Let them see the real you. Let them see you that you’re a human being, and let them realize that sometimes, even the strongest ones crack up under pressure.
18. Do you feel like you cannot put your feelings into words? Express your pain by getting creative. Start drawing, open a journal, write poetry, take photos. Whatever brings a smile on your face.
19. And remember. One day, all of this will seem like a bad dream. You will be proud of yourself for going that far. I promise.
20. You are the only person in control of your life. Remember this whenever you feel like the world is crashing down and you’re losing track of where you’re going.
21. Chin up, darling! You can do this!
A professional writer with many years of experience in the fields of psychology, human relationships, science, and spirituality.